A selection of some of my essays, grouped loosely by theme:
On life and death
- Is there an answer? Searching for the meaning of life in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
- On Gardner and Immortality
- Human, know thy place!
- Pushing the right beliefs for the wrong reasons
- Does Atheism have a misogyny problem?
- Want to kill fewer animals? Give up eggs, not meat
The alleged limits of science
- Insane Clown Posse and the Miracles of Nature
- Relabeling Our Ignorance
- My Little Pony: Reality is Magic!
- Heralding the end of discovery?
- Should non-experts shut up? The Skeptic’s Catch-22
Strategies for becoming more rational
- How to want to change your mind
- Surprise! The most important skill in science and self-improvement is noticing the unexpected.
- 16 Types of useful predictions
The intersection of art and logic
- A crab canon for Douglas Hofstadter
- “That’s funny…” Incongruity in humor, art and science
- The perils of metaphorical thinking
- The fallacy of difference, in science and art
Julia Galef homepage